Sunday, November 15, 2009

Holidays work for me

Eric and I have returned from a wonderful week in Cairns with my dear friend Fiona and her two lovely kids.
Tourist highlights included:
  • Green Island - glass bottomed boat tour, walking in the rainforest, checking out the Crocodile Park and swimming
  • Daintree River - Boat Train cruise during which Eric got to drive
  • Port Douglas - lunch, shopping, coffee, sorbet, gelato - what more can I say
  • Mareeba/Atherton - Coffee Works with unlimited coffee and chocolate tasting and really interesting museum, Cheese Factory, Strawberry farm and banana farm
  • Kuranda - Train ride up there and Skyrail back - went to Bird park and Butterfly house which were both stunning
  • Muddy's water playground on the Cairns foreshore followed by lunch at Skippers
  • Dinner at Paddywhacks where I had Outback pasta complete with kangaroo and crocodile and got Eric to try both.
Highlights of being on holiday
  • no deadlines or appointments
  • very little housework indeed
  • having dinner cooked almost every night - brilliant effort on the part of our lovely hostess
  • sleeping in until Eric decided it was time for me to get up each day
  • freedom to read and read
  • time to knit
  • lots and lots of conversation about the past, the present for both of us and what the future might hold
It all seems like a bit of a dream now that I'm home with the ironing and the ashing and all the work but I'm so glad we had the opportunity to go and that we were able to see and do so much. Eric connected with Fiona's son in about 5 minutes and they had a ball - six nights of sleepovers!

Words aren't enough to say thank-you to my dear Fiona for her wonderful hospitality, flexibility and patience. We both had a brilliant time with many great memories. You rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments from readers (it's nice to know there are interested people out there) but reserve the right to delete anything that I consider inappropriate from my blog. Your comments will be published after I have reviewed them.